Friday, April 1, 2011

The OFFICIAL Update

Reagan is 11 months old today! One more month til my little princess is a whole YEAR old!!!

Now on to her health update... We saw her pediatrician yesterday to discuss her blood and urine test results. Her urine came back normal, but there were several abnormalities in her blood test. Her doctor emphasized to us that she felt it was likely thyroid related, which although is somewhat rare in infants, is a good prognosis. If it turns out to be a thyroid issue, we simply just have to give her medication, nothing complicated.

There were other abnormalities in her test though that are not connected to thyroid, so in addition to a thyroid test she ordered a CBC (complete blood count, her platelets were high), and a Metabolic test (looks for genetic diseases).

We went to the hospital for the blood test right after her appointment, and this time it was SO MUCH EASIER!!!!! I told the nurse about how difficult it was last time to find a vein and the trauma that came with it, and she called a more experienced nurse in who found the vein in seconds! I was very impressed, and Reagan didn't cry nearly as much. Thank GOD.

The doctor also wants Rea to do another follow-up test in a week or two to check her platelets and carbon dioxide (apparently it was on the low side). She said it could be a fluke that those two were off, but we should double check. I really, really REALLY like how thorough she is being. Finally a doctor is listening to me and investigating!

It's good to know it's not all in my head... It's definitely been implied by some that she has no medical issue, but instead maybe she's "just small" or "needs better nutrition." I have something to say about all that, but I won't say it here.... ;-)

Also noteworthy, they previously prescribed her iron supplements over a month ago after testing her hemoglobin levels at the office, and they were low, which usually indicates anemia, which is most commonly due to low iron. Rea's blood tests showed that in fact she had very HIGH iron, almost too high... No more supplements for her. So of course, I asked the doctor, 'if her iron is high, then what is causing her low hemoglobin and anemia?' The answer was extremely disappointing: the equipment they use to measure hemoglobin is easy to read incorrectly, and she was NEVER anemic. WTF.

As soon as I can get different insurance, I am switching to a new office. I may like this doctor, but the office staff is completely incompetent. First they can't even accurately weigh her, now they also inaccurately measured her hemoglobin levels and wrongly prescribed her supplements that you can overdose on??? (Heard of iron poisoning?? Yeah, it's dangerous). It's ridiculous and unacceptable to me.

Okay, enough ranting.

We should be getting her test results sometime next week; Monday at the earliest for the CBC and Metabolic test, but probably between Wednesday and Friday for the thyroid test. We have an appointment for a weight check already on Wednesday, but we might reschedule if the thyroid test isn't in yet.

To sum it all up for you, we still don't know anything, but we do know that it's not nothing!


P.S. I do not what to speculate about any negative possibilities... I want to wait remain hopeful while I'm waiting for the facts to come in. I would appreciate if you would help me do this! :)

1 comment:

  1. Articulate, thorough, patient and inquisitive... the perfect Mommy you are!

    ReplyDelete