Sunday, March 27, 2011

While I'm waiting...

To get it out of the way: no news on Reagan's test results yet, although I spoke to a nurse who said most likely it will be ready on Monday, and I should hear from the doctor then.

In the mean time, I just have to get some things off my chest.

Since Rea's health issues came to the foreground, I have had many friends, family and even strangers calling, messaging, emailing, and facebooking me to say a variety of things, from encouraging words, requesting updates, to ideas and suggestions on what I could try for her. I understand (and appreciate!) that each and every one of these people have good intentions, and are only trying to help because they care. That's touching.

BUT (there's always a but), sometimes I wish they would hold back on the suggestions/ideas. Sometimes what is said may have good intentions behind it, but is really just frustrating for me.

Yes, I've considered perhaps she's just small. Yes, her diet is rich in protein and iron. Yes, I know it could be really simple or really serious, and no I do NOT want to speculate about what it might be until I have her test results back and a direction to look in. As a mother, that's just too painful to go there. And it's not productive.

And finally: NO, I have NOT considered (and will not consider) switching Reagan to formula instead of breastfeeding her. This is the one that really gets me. Again, I acknowledge that those who have suggested this to me had nothing but good intentions when they said it. I just have heard this from too many people now and I'm started to feel offended, and I don't want to be offended because I like and trust all of the people who have suggested it to me.

Let me defend and explain my choice to breastfeed:

Breastfeeding is always the ideal and best form to feed your child. Formula companies have been long and widely criticized for their misinformation, unethical marketing tactics, and downright lies to mothers everywhere. I want no part in it.

There are legitimate reason's that some mothers cannot breastfeed, and should have no shame in it. There are also situations where formula is the only way a baby can eat, and there is no shame in that. I am NOT attacking or criticizing anyone's decision to formula feed their child. Instead I am defending my decision (and right) to breastfeed mine.

Nutritionally, formula can't even touch breastmilk. It's specifically tailored for human babies to optimize their health, growth, brain development, and nutrition. Formula uses cow's milk as a base, and cow's milk is designed specifically for calves development, not human babies. Even adding extra nutrients, formula still does not scratch the surface of the health benefits provided by human breastmilk for human babies.

Nutrition aside, breastmilk contains human stem cells. HUMAN STEM CELLS. Do you know what this means? Dr Mark Cregan (who discovered this amazing fact) explains:

“It is setting the baby up for the perfect development,” he says. “We already know that babies who are breast fed have an IQ advantage and that there’s a raft of other health benefits. Researchers also believe that the protective effects of being breast fed continue well into adult life.

“The point is that many mothers see milks as identical – formula milk and breast milk look the same so they must be the same. But we know now that they are quite different and a lot of the effects of breast milk versus formula don’t become apparent for decades. Formula companies have focussed on matching breast milk’s nutritional qualities but formula can never provide the developmental guidance.”


Need I say more? I already have enough worries about Reagan's health right now, and the LAST thing I would ever consider is taking away one of the biggest health benefits I could ever give her. It's a gift that will last a lifetime, it literally keeps on giving! Without a doubt, Reagan's health issues are despite of my breastmilk, and definitely not because of it.


I know I sound angry, but I'm not. And if you suggested formula to me and you're reading this, I have no hard feelings towards you. It's not you, it's me! This is an issue that I have researched extremely thoroughly, and have strong feelings about. I don't expect anyone else to know all the facts just because I do, and I don't expect anyone to agree with me. I will still like/love you the same no matter your opinion/decision.

All I ask is that you support me too.

1 comment: